Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Ruler Relfexes

This week for inquiry, we learnt about human reactions. We had a small challenge that included simply a ruler, a
partner, and our reactions. Our task was to attempt to grab a ruler as fast as possible. We were given 3 different
reactions to test. Visual, where we had to grab the ruler just by watching it. No count down, go or anything. Next
was aural, where we had to close our eyes, and where only told "GO" for when we could attempt to grab the
ruler. No countdown, no looking, no touching, just a simple go. Finally, was touch. We closed our eyes, no words,
just a tap on the shoulder letting us know when to grab. The partner that I was given was Tiava, and we had a lot
of fun working together. What we needed to do next was graph our data. Although to make it even better, we
were to group up with another pair and graph all of our data in one big graph. So for this, we chose to work with
Sanujan and John. We had a lot of fun all working together, and in the end, made a pretty great graph.

Tiava Hypothesis: I think that I will be best at Test 2, because I think that signals to the brain will be faster than
sight, or touch.
Jack Hypothesis:  I think that I will be best at Test 1, because I think that my eyes will signal my brain faster than
anything else.


Tiava
Jack
Test 1


1
19
0
2
0
10
3
27
27
Test 2


1
0
0
2
29
0
3
22
9
Test 3


1
24
0
2
23
14
3
0
9
Test 1 Results
76
67
Test 2 Results
81
69
Test 3 Results
77
53
Results
Test 1
Test 3

Evaluation:

Jack:
I found this interesting, as my hypothesis was for test 1 to be the one I was best at, but instead it was test 3 that I
was the best at. Meaning that my hypothesis was incorrect. I must’ve been incorrect because I didn’t realize that
I sent signals to my brain faster through touch that sight. Although there is a chance of it being just a one off
time.

Tiava:
I found this surprising because my hypothesis was for test 2, but I excelled at test 1. I think that my hypothesis


was incorrect because my body and brain reacts faster when I can visual see the ruler drop than hear the word
go.

No comments:

Post a Comment